Balco chimney mishap: Three top Chinese officers arrested
Korba: Three top Chinese officials were
on Monday arrested in connection with the BALCO mishap which
claimed over 40 lives last September.
Three officials of M/s Sepco Company - Project Manager
U Chunan and civil engineers Lu Gukan and Wan Wang were
arrested under IPC Sections 304 (culpable homicide not
amounting to murder), 34 (Acts done by several persons in
furtherance of common intention) and 326 (voluntarily causing
grievous hurt by dangerous weapons means), police said.
The Sepco officials were produced before a local court
which remanded them in judicial custody for seven days, SP
Ratanlal Dangi said.
Around 80 Sepco officials had come from China to install
the chimney in the Balco company, Dangi said.
Police had earlier arrested four persons including three
top BALCO officials - company`s vice president Viral Mehta,
additional general manager, Deepak Narang and engineer Atul
Mahapatra and GDCL Project Manager Manoj Sharma.
There are likely to be some more arrests, police sources
In September a chimney in the 1,200-MW power plant of
Bharat Aluminium Company Ltd (Balco) collapsed, leading to the
death of at least 40 labourers. Around 300 labourers were
working at that time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed