Balwa retracts from plea seeking to make PM as witness in 2G
New Delhi: Swan Telecom promoter Shahid
Usman Balwa on Thursday retracted from his statement made in a Delhi
court that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should have been made
as a witness in the 2G spectrum case saying the media has
reported it "out of context".
Balwa moved an application seeking a direction to
restrain the media from "out-of-context reporting" claiming
that the press has wrongly reported that he sought to bring
the Prime Minister in the witness box.
"It is prayed that media personnel be directed to report
the orders of this court and the proceedings with submissions
made in writing and must restrain themselves from out-of-
context reporting," advocate Vijay Agarwal, appearing for
Special CBI Judge O P Saini, who is exclusively
hearing the matters relating to the 2G case, posted the matter
for May 2.
Balwa had yesterday submitted before the court that CBI
should have named Prime Minister as one of the witnesses in
"CBI is producing letters of A Raja and the Prime
Minister as evidence. They (CBI) should have made the Prime
Minister a witness in the case," advocate Majid Memon,
appearing for Balwa, had said while arguing on the bail plea
of his client.
Agrawal today said the media has "incorrectly" reported
that they had submitted before the court that the Prime
Minister should be called to the court in the 2G spectrum
He said reporting should be "in respect of the final
orders passed by the court or submissions made in writing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- 'Mirzya': Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra thanks Salman Khan, sends best wishes for 'Sultan'
- Zardari urges US to support sale of F-16 jets to Pakistan
- Gulbarga ragging case: 3 arrested, 2 sent to 14-day judicial custody
- After Sachin Tendulkar, now 'Bharat Ratna' demand for Virat Kohli
- So sweet! Genelia Deshmukh gushes over hubby Riteish Deshmukh's handsome get-up – View pic