Balwa retracts from plea seeking to make PM as witness in 2G
New Delhi: Swan Telecom promoter Shahid
Usman Balwa on Thursday retracted from his statement made in a Delhi
court that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should have been made
as a witness in the 2G spectrum case saying the media has
reported it "out of context".
Balwa moved an application seeking a direction to
restrain the media from "out-of-context reporting" claiming
that the press has wrongly reported that he sought to bring
the Prime Minister in the witness box.
"It is prayed that media personnel be directed to report
the orders of this court and the proceedings with submissions
made in writing and must restrain themselves from out-of-
context reporting," advocate Vijay Agarwal, appearing for
Special CBI Judge O P Saini, who is exclusively
hearing the matters relating to the 2G case, posted the matter
for May 2.
Balwa had yesterday submitted before the court that CBI
should have named Prime Minister as one of the witnesses in
"CBI is producing letters of A Raja and the Prime
Minister as evidence. They (CBI) should have made the Prime
Minister a witness in the case," advocate Majid Memon,
appearing for Balwa, had said while arguing on the bail plea
of his client.
Agrawal today said the media has "incorrectly" reported
that they had submitted before the court that the Prime
Minister should be called to the court in the 2G spectrum
He said reporting should be "in respect of the final
orders passed by the court or submissions made in writing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends