Bandh: Cong hits out at opposition for violence
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday hit out at the Opposition parties over the nationwide bandh against petrol price hike saying violence during the protests put a question mark on their intent and seriousness behind the move.
"Is this the way to show concern for the common man? Violence nothing else," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters at the AICC briefing.
He said the damage to public property was very unfortunate and it put a question mark on the intent and seriousness of BJP and other parties about the protests.
Union Minister Ambika Soni accused the Opposition of trying to take "politicial mileage" out of the issue noting that no benefit can come to common man this way.
"Opposition parties, allies and the ruling party will have to find a solution together. No benefit will accrue to the common man by trying to take political mileage out of it.
"An attempt should be made to find a way out like the Congrees did by asking Government to find out a solution to it in consultation with state governments and oil companies," Soni said acknowledging that the common man is definitely perturbed over rising prices or hike in petrol rates.
AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh used the occassion to have a dig at the BJP when asked why workers of the Opposition party were not out in significant numbers during the Bharat Bandh as also many of the senior leaders.
"You must realise that today is one of the hottest days of the month and they are accustomed to living in the comfort of air conditioners," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof