Bandopadhyay elected TMC`s LS Parl Party chief
New Delhi: Senior Trinamool Congress leader
Sudip Bandopadhyay has been elected the chief of the Lok Sabha
Parliamentary Party at a meeting chaired party supremo Mamata
Besides Bandopadhyay, the minister of State for Health
and Family Welfare, his party colleague and Minister of State
for Shipping Mukul Roy was elected the leader in Rajya Sabha
at the meeting Parliamentary Party held soon after the West
Bengal chief minister arrived here last night.
Bandopadhyay and Roy today met Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar and informed her about the party`s decision in this
regard, Trinamool sources said.
Banerjee arrived here last night for a two-day visit and
is likely to hold talks with Congress and government
leadership to press for financial assistance to her
Her visit comes in the backdrop of strain in ties between
the Trinamool Congress and the Congress, with the state unit
of her alliance partner holding a rally to protest against her
party`s alleged attacks on Congress workers.
Banerjee has also been vocal in opposing the hikes in
petrol prices by the UPA government at the Centre, besides
being sore with Congress over "inadequate" help from the
Centre to tide over the huge debt of the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report