Bangalore competing with Delhi to become rape capital: Abha Singh
Mumbai: Women`s rights activist Abha Singh on Saturday said that the city of Bangalore seems to be competing with national capital Delhi to become the rape capital of the country.
Singh told a news agency, "It`s very necessary that the Bangalore sexual assault case should be taken to fast track court and minimum punishment should be of 10 years. It seems that Bangalore is giving competition to Delhi in terms of becoming rape capital. The police is not taking action and that is why criminals are becoming insensitive. Why were there no CCTV cameras in school?"
A minor girl was attacked and raped by two gym instructors when she had gone to the washroom in Vibgyor School on Varthur-Haralur Road in Bangalore.
Additional Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), Kamal Pant, had said that police is collecting the evidence and a thorough investigation was taking place.
Abha Singh also attacked the Uttar Pradesh government over the gang-rape and murder of a woman in Lucknow, saying that law and order has broken down in the state.
"What has happened in Lucknow is unfortunate. It shows that law and order in UP has broken down. It`s high time that the government should intervene."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok