Bangalore famous for IT, traffic jams: Reddy
Bangalore: Union Minister Jaipal Reddy on Tuesday said the city had done extremely well due to the growth of the IT
sector but this also was the main reason behind the huge
traffic jams that people face every day.
"... there are so many traffic jams in Bangalore because
the IT sector has done well," the Union Urban Development
Minister said in his address at the Business Standard
Infrastructure meet 2010 here.
The minister said such traffic congestions were natural
whenever development takes place in industries, modern
technology or spurt in the number of educational institutions.
"Bangalore is not only famous for IT (information
technology) but also for traffic jams," he quipped, adding,
"So, therefore, Bangalore needs metro rail transport more
urgently than other cities."
Reddy said the work on the first line of the Bangalore
metro rail would be completed by the year end.
Meanwhile, Reddy said the Central government will
consider including 28 new cities in the Jawaharlal Nehru
National Urban Renewal Mission, a city modernisation scheme of
These cities, including Hubli in Karnataka, have a
population of five lakh-plus as per the 2001 census, he said.
Currently, 65 cities are covered under the JNNURM which
was launched in 2005 by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to
improve the quality of life and infrastructure in the cities.
Reddy said the number of people living in urban areas is
expected to go up to 800 million in India in the next 25 years
from the present 300 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- LeEco set to boom exciting offers on Flipkart's 'Big Shopping Days' sale
- Goa Board (GBSHSE) SSC (Class 10) Results 2016: Goa 10th SSC result 2016, GBSHSE results 2016, GBSHSE 10th board results to be declared on May 25
- Credit growth unlikely to revive materially in near term: SBI
- Rupee falls for eight straight session, holds at 2-1/2 month low of 67.49
- India's tour to Zimbabwe: Vinod Kambli hits out at selectors for ignoring Mumbai cricketers Shreyas Iyer, Aditya Tare