Bangalore: Woman brutally attacked inside ATM; assailant caught on camera
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: Jyothi Uday, a manager at Corporation Bank, is fighting for her life after being attacked inside an ATM kiosk here on Tuesday.
Jyothi Uday, 44, manager at the bank`s Mission Road branch, was attacked by an unidentified assailant with a machete inside her bank`s ATM kiosk, police said.
The ATM kiosk, unguarded at the time of incident, is located just metres away from a police station.
As per police, the assailant hit the victim on the head and ran away with her cash (Rs 2,500) and mobile.
Passers-by rescued the woman after noticing blood coming out of the kiosk, whose shutters had been downed by the assailant before he fled.
The woman underwent a three-hour long surgery last night, but is still critical. As per doctors, Jyothi suffered a skull fracture.
Deputy Commissioner of Police DC Rajappa said, “We have registered a case under section 397 of the Indian Penal Code for attempting to cause death or grievous injury while committing robbery or dacoity and formed a special team to nab the assailant at the earliest.”
The attack was captured by a CCTV camera. The footage shows the unmasked assailant entering the kiosk when Jyothi was before the ATM to draw cash, and threatening her after pulling down the shutter from inside.
"As seen in the footage, the assailant took out a country pistol and a machete from a shoulder bag and asked Jyothi to draw cash from the ATM. When she tried to escape, he pushed her to a corner and hit her on the head with a machete. After checking her bag, he left the kiosk by again pulling down its shutter from outside," Rajappa informed.
The ATM kiosk is located on the ground floor of the LIC building diagonally opposite the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike head office in the Corporation Circle and a furlong from the Ulsoor Gate police station.
"As the assailant did not wear any mask and is clearly seen in the footage, we have circulated his photo to all police stations and check-posts to trap him before he gets out of the city. We are hopeful of cracking the case," Rajappa added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic
- Types of HIV carried by chimps can infect humans: Study
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich