Bangaru compromised soldiers` lives: Court
New Delhi: By accepting bribe to swing a defence deal, albeit fake, former BJP president Bangaru Laxman had agreed to compromise the lives of the soldiers of the nation, a Delhi court on Saturday observed.
Special CBI Judge Kanwal Jeet Arora made the observation while sentencing 72-year-old Laxman to four years of rigorous imprisonment along with a fine of Rs one lakh under provision of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
"The convict (Laxman) had kept his individual interests over and above the national interest and has even agreed to compromise with the security and safety of the nation. He had agreed to help a company I.E. M/s Westend International, coming to him for getting a supply order of defence related equipments to Indian Army.
"He agreed to compromise with the lives of lakhs of the soldiers who without fearing for their lives, fight for the nation," the court said.
Stating that the act of former union minister would have impacted hugely on the lives of Indian soldiers, the court said he does not deserve any leniency.
"Considering the gravity and impact which his influence would have had on the lives of the soldiers of Indian Army, had the design of convict materialised, I am of the opinion that there are no mitigating circumstances and he does not deserve the leniency.
"The result of the path chosen by him, should be such, so as to deter others not the tread the same," the judge said.
Inspired by the judgements of the Supreme court, the judge said, corruption in itself is bad and it is like "cancer" for the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony