Bangaru compromised soldiers` lives: Court
New Delhi: By accepting bribe to swing a defence deal, albeit fake, former BJP president Bangaru Laxman had agreed to compromise the lives of the soldiers of the nation, a Delhi court on Saturday observed.
Special CBI Judge Kanwal Jeet Arora made the observation while sentencing 72-year-old Laxman to four years of rigorous imprisonment along with a fine of Rs one lakh under provision of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
"The convict (Laxman) had kept his individual interests over and above the national interest and has even agreed to compromise with the security and safety of the nation. He had agreed to help a company I.E. M/s Westend International, coming to him for getting a supply order of defence related equipments to Indian Army.
"He agreed to compromise with the lives of lakhs of the soldiers who without fearing for their lives, fight for the nation," the court said.
Stating that the act of former union minister would have impacted hugely on the lives of Indian soldiers, the court said he does not deserve any leniency.
"Considering the gravity and impact which his influence would have had on the lives of the soldiers of Indian Army, had the design of convict materialised, I am of the opinion that there are no mitigating circumstances and he does not deserve the leniency.
"The result of the path chosen by him, should be such, so as to deter others not the tread the same," the judge said.
Inspired by the judgements of the Supreme court, the judge said, corruption in itself is bad and it is like "cancer" for the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack