‘Bangaru`s case exposes BJP`s double standards`
New Delhi: The Congress Friday got fodder to attack BJP on the conviction of its former president Bangaru Laxman in a corruption scandal, saying it showed the "double standards" of the saffron party.
It also used sarcasm to attack the BJP saying the opposition party has "created history".
"For the BJP, chickens have come to roost and unfortunately, they have come rather early.
Those who raised the bogey of Bofors, a matter which been conclusively determined judiciously, should today introspect about their six years in government, and start living by the age old adage that those who live in glass houses do not throw stones at others," party spokesperson Manish Tewari said.
Taunting the Opposition party over the development, Union Minister Kapil Sibal said that perhaps there is no party in the world whose President is put behind bars on such corruption charges.
"BJP has been making and will continue to make such history and also continue to hide," he added.
Sibal said that BJP leaders like Jaswant Singh should have demanded in Lok Sabha for a Commission to probe Tehelka scandal instead.
"I would have then accepted that BJP`s character and conduct is right. But when you rake up a 25-year-old issue in which there is no truth and hide something which is real, this clearly shows BJP`s double standards in politics," he said.
In a huge embarrassment to BJP, its former president Bangaru Laxman was today convicted for the offence of accepting Rs one lakh as bribe from a fake arms dealer in a fictitious deal eleven years ago.
Laxman, a former Union minister caught on camera in a sting operation accepting money in his chamber in the party headquarters, had to quit as its president shortly after the sting expose which had created a huge political storm.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India