Bangladesh border guards` firing kills man in Bengal
Kolkata: A man was killed and a minor boy injured Monday in "unprovoked firing" by the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) along the border in West Bengal, the BSF said adding that they have lodged a "strong protest" with their counterparts.
"We contacted higher officers of the BGB and lodged strong protests with them asking them to prevent any recurrence of such an incident. We have taken this incident very seriously," Border Security Force (BSF) Inspector General (North Bengal) SK Sood told a news agency.
The BGB personnel fired three rounds around 9.30 am from across the border killing Mohammed Fareed, 30, and injuring Soor Alam, 14, in Magarahat of North Dinajpur district. Alam has been admitted to a hospital in Raiganj in the district.
"Immediately after the incident, BSF officers invited BGB officers and showed them the spot. We are taking all necessary actions to ensure that such misadventures do not recur," added Sood.
BSF Additional Director General (East) BD Sharma said that flag meetings with the BGB were being held and Sood had been directed to visit the place of occurrence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender