Bangladesh troopers oppose Indian construction activity
Agartala: Bangladesh Border Guard (BGB) troopers have opposed the construction of a culvert, creating tension along the India-Bangladesh border in Tripura, an official said here on Tuesday.
"When the workers were building a culvert adjoining a bridge in bordering Belonia town (in southern Tripura) Monday, the BGB jawans threatened to open fire unless the erection of the culvert was stopped," said an official of the south Tripura district administration.
Local people immediately launched a road blockade in the area, 110 km from here, to protest the BGB`s threat.
Senior officials of the district administration and Border Security Force (BSF) rushed to the spot and following their persuasion the road blockade was withdrawn.
However, the prevailing tension in the area has forced the BSF authorities to deploy additional troopers. The construction work has also been stopped.
"The district administration has asked the BSF officials to hold a flag meeting with the BGB officers to resolve the matter at the earliest," the official said.
The official added that the BGB jawans have always protested any permanent construction on the Indian side, creating problems for the state authorities in repairing and constructing roads, embankments, water supply and irrigation projects.
Tripura shares a 856-km border with Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray