Banned ex-ISRO chief quits as IIT-Patna chairman
New Delhi: In the eye of a storm, former ISRO
chairman G Madhavan Nair has stepped down as chairman of the
Board of Governors of IIT-Patna.
Nair, who has been barred from holding any government post
for his alleged role in the controversial Antirx-Devas deal,
was in Patna yesterday to bid farewell to his colleagues.
"I went there to say farewell. Though I have not got a
copy of the government order, I did not want to continue after
what has come out in the public domain," Nair, the architect
of India`s maiden moon mission, said.
Earlier this month, the government barred Nair and three
other senior space scientists from all current and future
government jobs for their alleged role in Antrix Corporation`s
deal with Devas Multimedia for leasing out bulk transponders
on two satellites for launch of digital multimedia services.
IIT-Patna was among the eight new institutes set up by the
Centre between 2008 and 2009. The permanent campus of the IIT
is coming up at Bitha about 25 km from Patna.
Asked about his plans to move court against the government
order, Nair said that he has filed an application under the
RTI Act to get copies of the order and reports of the B K
Chaturvedi Committee on the Antrix-Devas deal.
He said he has also sought a copy of the report of a team
led by former CVC Pratyush Sinha which recommended action
based on the findings of the Chaturvedi Committee.
"I am totally in the dark. I cannot do anything unless I
get some information under the RTI Act," Nair said.
Nair said the Chaturvedi panel allowed them to present
their case but the Sinha panel only sent a questionnaire,
suggesting that they were denied the right to be heard.
Devas Multimedia has moved the International Court of
Arbitration to settle the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway