Baramulla killing: Army orders time-bound inquiry
Srinagar: Army on Tuesday night ordered a time-bound Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the firing incident in Baramulla district of Kashmir in which a youth was killed.
Lt Gen K T Parnaik, GoC-in-C has "ordered a time-bound CoI into the incident" in which Tahir Latief Sofi was killed, Udhampur-based Army spokesperson said.
An Army spokesman in a statement here said a foot patrol unit of the Army was attacked by a mob, creating a life-threatening situation for the personnel.
He said the personnel fired in the air which could not have caused death of the youth or injury to anyone.
The spokesman said there were intelligence inputs with regard to the plans by terrorists to entangle Army personnel, particularly in Baramulla, in a protest and to attack the Army taking shield of the crowd with a view to trigger large-scale violence.
"This needs to be probed in detail by police," the spokesperson said.
"The aggressive mob, despite repeated warnings and caution, surrounded the patrol and people from within the crowd started attacking the Army personnel. The Army patrol was soon outnumbered, some of them were injured," the statement said.
The statement said the death of the youth "could not have been caused due to the firing by the Army personnel as extreme caution was exercised by them and the fire was deliberately aimed in the air".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters