Baramulla killing: Army orders time-bound inquiry
Srinagar: Army on Tuesday night ordered a time-bound Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the firing incident in Baramulla district of Kashmir in which a youth was killed.
Lt Gen K T Parnaik, GoC-in-C has "ordered a time-bound CoI into the incident" in which Tahir Latief Sofi was killed, Udhampur-based Army spokesperson said.
An Army spokesman in a statement here said a foot patrol unit of the Army was attacked by a mob, creating a life-threatening situation for the personnel.
He said the personnel fired in the air which could not have caused death of the youth or injury to anyone.
The spokesman said there were intelligence inputs with regard to the plans by terrorists to entangle Army personnel, particularly in Baramulla, in a protest and to attack the Army taking shield of the crowd with a view to trigger large-scale violence.
"This needs to be probed in detail by police," the spokesperson said.
"The aggressive mob, despite repeated warnings and caution, surrounded the patrol and people from within the crowd started attacking the Army personnel. The Army patrol was soon outnumbered, some of them were injured," the statement said.
The statement said the death of the youth "could not have been caused due to the firing by the Army personnel as extreme caution was exercised by them and the fire was deliberately aimed in the air".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested