Baramulla killing: Army orders time-bound inquiry
Srinagar: Army on Tuesday night ordered a time-bound Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the firing incident in Baramulla district of Kashmir in which a youth was killed.
Lt Gen K T Parnaik, GoC-in-C has "ordered a time-bound CoI into the incident" in which Tahir Latief Sofi was killed, Udhampur-based Army spokesperson said.
An Army spokesman in a statement here said a foot patrol unit of the Army was attacked by a mob, creating a life-threatening situation for the personnel.
He said the personnel fired in the air which could not have caused death of the youth or injury to anyone.
The spokesman said there were intelligence inputs with regard to the plans by terrorists to entangle Army personnel, particularly in Baramulla, in a protest and to attack the Army taking shield of the crowd with a view to trigger large-scale violence.
"This needs to be probed in detail by police," the spokesperson said.
"The aggressive mob, despite repeated warnings and caution, surrounded the patrol and people from within the crowd started attacking the Army personnel. The Army patrol was soon outnumbered, some of them were injured," the statement said.
The statement said the death of the youth "could not have been caused due to the firing by the Army personnel as extreme caution was exercised by them and the fire was deliberately aimed in the air".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Telcos take cover under new technology to mask call drops
- Black money: PM Modi to visit Switzerland, discuss issue with Swiss Prez
- Indian discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!
- Delhi L-G Najeeb Jung refuses AAP govt’s proposed app-based premium bus service scheme