Barbaric wrong word to describe convocation gowns: JNU-VC
New Delhi: Reacting to Union Minister Jairam
Ramesh`s comment over the practice of donning ceremonial gowns
at convocations, the Vice-Chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru
University today said "barbaric" was not the proper word he
should have used and "legacy" would have been suitable.
He said he felt the practice of wearing the coloured
gowns was a legacy of the past.
"This is a legacy of past. As I said, the church-oriented
universities maintain the church like decorum. As far as the
barbaric (comment), I think it is a bit too far.
"If it is to be considered barbaric in India, it should
be considered barbaric also in Oxford, Cambridge, European
Universities, American Universities. That is not the proper
word. I think legacy would be perhaps the correct word. Legacy
of the church extended university, maintaining the tradition
extended to India" B B Bhattacharya, VC, JNU, said
On April 2, Ramesh had discarded his hat and gown at the
convocation ceremony of Indian Institute of Forest Management
(IIFM) in Bhopal, describing them as "barbaric colonial
Giving the graduation gown a dressing down saying it was
a "sign of colonial slavery", the minister rooted for
"something more Indian."
Ramesh`s actions got him some support from senior BJP
leader Murali Manohar Joshi and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish
Kumar, who said there should be for a nation-wide debate over
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs