BARC director in soup over foreign scribes’ visit
Mumbai: The visit of two foreign journalists
to the high-security Bhabha Atomic research Centre (BARC) here
has raised the hackles of the security establishment.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has asked BARC director
Srikumar Banerjee to explain how the journalists were allowed
to photograph the facility during their visit. Was formal
permission granted for filming, the ministry has asked,
official sources said.
In his reply, Banerjee has reportedly said that formal
permission was neither sought nor granted but explained that
the journalists were allowed to take photographs only from the
outside and that they were accompanied at all times by BARC
Banerjee has explained that photographs of the building
are easily available on the Internet and that the scribes
clicked only the external view of the reactor building.
This explanation does not seem to have satisfied the
ministry, nor Banerjee`s contention that the authorities
should not be overly sensitive about commonly available
photographs, the sources said.
Efforts to seek reaction from Banerjee did not succeed
as he refused to comment on the issue.
Government security agencies have been concerned over the
vulnerability of BARC after it was listed as a possible target
of the Pakistan-based terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba.
US terror accused David Headley had admitted during
interrogation that he had carried out reconnaissance of the
BARC facility and handed over its Global Positioning System
co-ordinates to his handlers in Pakistan.
49-year-old Headley, who has been under arrest in the US
since October last year, had travelled to Chembur and Trombay
several times and filmed the exit and entry points of BARC
besides the movement of employees, the sources said.
He is reported to have hired a boat from the Gateway of
India and videographed the atomic research centre from the sea
side. The Mumbai 26/11 attackers had also arrived by sea and
landed near the Gateway of India.
Headley is being prosecuted by the FBI on several
charges, including for being part of the conspiracy in the
26/11 Mumbai attacks. Investigators including officials from
the National Investigation Agency, who are probing the role of
Headley and his Pakistani-Canadian accomplice Tahawwur Rana in
India, suspect that during his boat ride, Headley may have
surveyed the mangroves along the coastline.
The security around the nuclear installation and the
mangroves has now been tightened, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt