Bardhan demands probe into Kejriwal`s charges against Vadra
Ranchi: CPI leader AB Bardhan on Tuesday demanded a probe into business dealings between Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra and DLF, saying there were contradictions between the financial statements declared by Vadra and the realty major.
"An inquiry is necessary because the charges levelled against Vadra by India Against corruption activist Arvind Kejriwal are concrete, weighty and strong," Bardhan told a press conference here.
Dismissing Finance Minister P Chidambaram`s assertion that a probe was not required because there were no specific allegations of corruption, Bardhan asked what more was required to order an enquiry.
"Chidambaram has given an excuse that nothing has come out in the open. What more will come in the open? Robert Vadra had given his own financial statements before government authorities. DLF has given its figures.
People say that there are contradictions as both (the versions) are not tallying," argued Bardhan.
"All these contradictions show there is something amiss, so there should be a probe into the charges," he added.
Chidambaram had yesterday ruled out any probe into business dealings between Vadra and DLF as the government could not look into private transactions unless there were specific allegations of corruption.
To a pointed question on the Congress action in defending Vadra on the issue, Bardhan termed it as "wrong" because Vadra was neither of the Congress party nor a part of the central government.
"So it is not necessary to use Congress ministers and its machinery in his defence. This is very wrong," claimed Bardhan.
Congress spokesman Rashid Alvi had yesterday said the attack on Vadra was not on an individual but on the party and its leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!