Bardhan evasive about CPM-CPI merger
Kolkata: After CPM leaders, including
Sitaram Yechury, talked of a possible merger with the CPI, the
parent party on Monday sounded evasive about it, saying "unity of
action" by Communist parties will eventually lead to merger.
"CPI General Secretary shaking hands with CPI(M)
General Secretary has nothing to do with the merger of the two
parties. So we should concentrate on unity of action," CPI
General Secretary A B Bardhan said today.
"In the present political scenario where we have a
government which is anti-people we should have more movements
and intensify it which might lead to merger," Bardhan said.
"Note my words carefully. It is Communist unity which
leads to merger," he said, adding that his was not a bourgeois
party where one leader shook hands with another and
the process of merger was complete.
On June 13, CPI(M) Politburo Member Sitaram Yechury
had said that merger of the two parties, however desirable,
had to undergo a certain process.
Expressing hope that the process might lead to merger,
he had said that it was a process and it was on and the
parties were working together at it now at the mass
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet