Bastar by-poll: 40% turn-out, Naxals strike in few places
Raipur: About forty percent voter turn-out was recorded in the Bastar Lok Sabha by-election on Sunday, with reports of firing and land-mine blasts by Naxals at some places.
A special police officer was killed in a Naxal attack in Dantewada, while a CRPF jawan and a polling officer were injured and have been hospitalised.
KK Behar, the deputy chief electoral officer, said 40 percent of the 11,94,453 voters exercised their franchise.
A gunfight broke out in Kurche village when a team of security men were fired upon by Maoists, he said. After a brief exchange of fire, the Ultras fled.
Naxals also allegedly triggered land mine blasts in two places in Dantewada area, but there were no reports of casualties.
Polling could not take place at four booths at Badegadam, Gudse and Telam, as Naxals fired upon election officials, Behar said, adding fresh polling would be held there later.
The by-poll was necessitated due to the death of BJP MP Baliram Kashyap.
The BJP has fielded his son, Dinesh Kashyap, while Congress has fielded Konta MLA Lakhma Kavasi. Counting will take place on April 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened