Basu asked me to preside over 2008 trust vote: Somnath
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker and
expelled CPI-M leader Somnath Chatterjee today said Jyoti
Basu, whom he considered as his `political guru`, had asked
him to preside over the crucial trust vote debate in the lower
house in 2008, saying that the party cannot give any direction
to him as he held a constitutional office.
"I used to go to Basu to take his advice on many
matters and I did go to him when this problem came up. He told
me that I must preside over the trust vote. Basu also told me
nobody can give direction to the speaker," Chatterjee said.
"It would be wrong for the party to do so. Party
cannot give direction to a Speaker on how he will conduct
himself as a Speaker. The party will be misunderstood by
people (in that case)," Chatterjee quoted Basu as telling him.
Basu, however, at the same time had told him it was
entirely upto him to take whatever decision he deemed fit
regarding his continuance as Speaker after the trust vote,
"I did according to his direction and in my life he
was everything. After talking to him, I regained courage and
taking his opinion and permission, I returned to Delhi where I
decided finally not to resign from the Speaker`s post ahead of
the trust vote."
Chatterjee said he thought he had done the right thing
morally and taken the right political step by not resigning.
"Not for a single day has there been any distance
created between me and Basu," Chatterjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted