Basu asked me to preside over 2008 trust vote: Somnath
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker and
expelled CPI-M leader Somnath Chatterjee today said Jyoti
Basu, whom he considered as his `political guru`, had asked
him to preside over the crucial trust vote debate in the lower
house in 2008, saying that the party cannot give any direction
to him as he held a constitutional office.
"I used to go to Basu to take his advice on many
matters and I did go to him when this problem came up. He told
me that I must preside over the trust vote. Basu also told me
nobody can give direction to the speaker," Chatterjee said.
"It would be wrong for the party to do so. Party
cannot give direction to a Speaker on how he will conduct
himself as a Speaker. The party will be misunderstood by
people (in that case)," Chatterjee quoted Basu as telling him.
Basu, however, at the same time had told him it was
entirely upto him to take whatever decision he deemed fit
regarding his continuance as Speaker after the trust vote,
"I did according to his direction and in my life he
was everything. After talking to him, I regained courage and
taking his opinion and permission, I returned to Delhi where I
decided finally not to resign from the Speaker`s post ahead of
the trust vote."
Chatterjee said he thought he had done the right thing
morally and taken the right political step by not resigning.
"Not for a single day has there been any distance
created between me and Basu," Chatterjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni