Batala peaceful, night curfew also lifted
Batala: No untoward incident was reported
as calm returned to the town, which recently witnessed clashes
over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ, prompting the
district administration to lift the night curfew also.
Day curfew was lifted yesterday following improvement
in the situation in this industrial town of Punjab.
Shops, commercial establishments and banks did normal
business as the town remained peaceful and incident-free
today, officials said.
The dusk-to-dawn curfew, which was in force till
yesterday, had also been withdrawn, they said.
The government had ordered a magisterial probe into
the publication of the picture, the officials said adding the
report would be submitted within 15 days.
Curfew was clamped on the town Saturday after members
of the two communities clashed and vandalised public property
over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ allegedly in an
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi