Batala peaceful, night curfew also lifted
Batala: No untoward incident was reported
as calm returned to the town, which recently witnessed clashes
over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ, prompting the
district administration to lift the night curfew also.
Day curfew was lifted yesterday following improvement
in the situation in this industrial town of Punjab.
Shops, commercial establishments and banks did normal
business as the town remained peaceful and incident-free
today, officials said.
The dusk-to-dawn curfew, which was in force till
yesterday, had also been withdrawn, they said.
The government had ordered a magisterial probe into
the publication of the picture, the officials said adding the
report would be submitted within 15 days.
Curfew was clamped on the town Saturday after members
of the two communities clashed and vandalised public property
over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ allegedly in an
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore