Batla House encounter genuine, satisfied with verdict: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who as then Home Minister monitored the probe into the Batla House case, on Thursday said he felt the gunfight between police and the Indian Mujahideen terrorists was genuine and was satisfied that the prosecution could prove the case in court.
Chidambaram said the encounter in Delhi`s Batla House area took place before he assumed the charge as Union Home Minister in 2008 and he personally went through the evidence and talked to investigators after one of his colleagues suggested that it might not be genuine.
"I spent a lot of time pouring over the papers and talking to officers involved. And I was satisfied that it was a genuine encounter. Unfortunately, we have lost a brave police officer. It was also unfortunate that some of the suspects have escaped. I am told that the lone captured terrorist was held guilty. I am glad that the police have been able to prove their case," he said.
His comments came hours after a Delhi court convicted the lone suspected IM operative Shahzad Ahmad in the 2008 Batla House encounter case for murdering a police inspector and assaulting other officers.
Chidambaram said even the National Human Rights Commission as well as the (Delhi) High Court too had held that there was no reason to doubt the genuineness of the encounter.
"Today, I think the trial court has held that it was a genuine encounter and found the accused guilty," he said.
Asked about the statements of some of the Congress leaders, including Digvijay Singh, doubting the genuineness of the Batla House encounter, the Finance Minister said they were reflecting the views of families who were affected or the people of that area.
"I know that emotion was quite high. The families and residents of the area felt very strongly. I think my colleagues were simply reflecting the views they had heard. I don not think they had access to any independent material, independent access to materials.
But I had access to the materials and I was quite satisfied that it was a genuine encounter," Chidambaram said.
Asked about the requests made by the family members of two of the accused, who could flee the spot, Chidambaram said parents of the two of the people who are absconding met him when he was the Home Minister.
"I told them that if you genuinely believe that your sons were innocent, they should ask them to appear before police. And I had given my words that after interrogation, if we were satisfied that they (the two absconders) were not involved and they had a good alibi that they were not in the scene, I said we would not arrest them and let them off.
"But, unless they appear for interrogation, how do I help them. I told the two fathers that they should persuade their sons to appear before the police. But I do not know what did they do but the two (absconders) did not appear before police."
Chidambaram said he told the parents that according to his judgement, it was a genuine encounter and the trial court should come to a conclusion.
The Finance Minister also dismissed the criticism of BJP on the issue as well as in case of the Ishrat Jahan alleged fake encounter saying it was the habit of the principal opposition party to criticise what the ruling Congress says.
"If we say white, the BJP will say black. If the Congress will give some other colour, the BJP will give another colour. I don`t think that is relevant. What is relevant is that the police has been able to prove their case against one accused they were able to apprehend. I think the accused has the right to appeal and he should use the right of appeal and after that the court will review the evidence again," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow