This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Battered baby girl continues to battle for life

Last Updated: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 12:19

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: The two-year-old abandoned baby girl Falak, who was brought to AIIMS Trauma Centre on January 18 in a comatose condition with severe head injuries and human bite marks, is still lying critical and has slim chances of recovery.

The child is undergoing treatment at the neurosurgery ICU of AIIMS Trauma Centre and had suffered two cardiac arrests during the past few days.

Meanwhile, police remained clueless about the whereabouts of the parents of the two-year-old girl even as it intensified efforts to track down the man who allegedly sexually abused the teenaged girl who had hospitalised the baby.

Baby Falak was brought to AIIMS by a teenager, Mahi Gupta, who claimed to be her mother. But after discrepancies were noted in her story, the teenager was sent to a juvenile home, even as the police are trying to locate the real parents of the baby.

While admitting the baby, Mahi had said she lived along with her `husband` Rajkumar Gupta in a paying guest accommodation in Mahipalpur area of South Delhi, said Nirmal Thakur, spokesperson of the AIIMS Trauma Centre.

Police found that the teenager had allegedly eloped with a boy last year and was staying in Sangam Vihar and the child was with her for about past 20 days.

The baby was with the girl for the past 20 days, but police are still investigating how she got there.

The girl told police that the child was bruised when she tried to prevent her from running around. The child also slipped in the bathroom later, she said.

A case under Section 363 (kidnapping), 317 (abandoning a child below the age of 12 years) and 324 and 325 (dealing with hurt) has been registered against unknown persons in connection with the incident, Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South).

In a dramatic turnaround, two women on Friday approached the hospital claiming the child is related to them. "I have directed both the women to police. Both claimed that the child is their relative," Deepak Agarwal, a neurosurgeon with AIIMS, said.

However, police said nobody has approached them.

The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) condemned the incident that has shocked the nation and ordered a detailed investigation in the case and asked for a factual report from the police in 15 days.

Doctors said the child has only 40 percent chances of recovery and might not recover soon because of the mental and physical trauma she has undergone.

The tone of the doctors hinted at bleak chances of survival of the baby.

Falak’s condition has shocked the country, especially when one realises that such brutality to a two-year-old child was committed by a fellow human.

First Published: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 12:01
comments powered by Disqus