BDR posts red flag in disputed area on Indo-Bangla border
Shillong: BDR personnel posted a red flag
in a disputed area adversely held by India in Meghalaya`s
Jaintia Hills district, days after the border guards of
Bangladesh resorted to unprovoked firing thrice in that area.
The red flag was put up on Sunday after some Indian
villagers of Muktapur went there for fishing and were chased
away by the BDR men, BSF officials said today.
The red flag is a warning for Indian villagers not to
enter the area, which, according to records, has been with
India since 1947 but has been claimed by Bangladesh.
Officials said some 250 families have abandoned their
homes and shifted to safer places in fear, in Muktapur and
The area under adverse possession of India, measuring
around 55.3 acres, is between border pillars, covering a
distance of about 1,200 metres.
The development takes place amid the Director
General-level BSF-BDR meeting that went underway in New Delhi
Disregarding a status quo agreement, BDR troopers made
three offensives last month leading to heavy exchange of fire
with BSF near Muktapur.
Four additional companies of BSF troops have been
deployed in the area following the incidents.
According to official records, currently, there are
551.8 acres of Bangladeshi land under "adverse possession" of
India while an estimated 226.81 acres of Indian land is under
adverse possession of Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song