Bedi calls for holistic response to panel`s recommendations
New Delhi: With the Union Cabinet recommending to the President to issue an ordinance to deal with crime against women effectively, former Indian Police Service (IPS) officer and activist Kiran Bedi on Saturday said the government needs to give a holistic response to the society on Justice Verma Committee`s recommendations.
"Justice Verma Committee is not only about the law. There is a lot before the law and there is a lot after the law. I think the government needs to give a holistic response to the society on Justice Verma Committee`s recommendations. It concerns police reforms, it concerns judicial reforms, it concerns electoral reforms. I think what the people of this country demand of this government is a holistic response," said Bedi.
"It`s a beginning made, but it`s a very long way to go because Justice Verma (Committee`s) recommendations is a holistic correction. A politician involved in crime, a person in uniform involved in crime and then police reforms as such. I think this is a beginning. I hope this is not an intention for people to say we have done it and that`s it. I think what this country is demanding is a holistic response because Justice Verma Committee is a very holistic way at looking at crime prevention," she added.
The Union Cabinet approved the ordinance yesterday providing for trial for death penalty if the rape victim dies and imprisonment up to 20 years for rape.
Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar informed the media about the decision soon after the Cabinet Committee meeting held on Friday night at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence.
"The Cabinet has decided to recommend the ordinance to the President. It will have most of the Justice Verma committee recommendations. The UPA government is committed to protect the dignity and safety of women in the country," said Ashwani Kumar.
The three-member committee led by former Chief Justice of India Justice (Retired) JS Verma, constituted after the countrywide outrage following the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old medical student in a moving bus on the night of December 16 last year.
The committee has submitted its elaborate report recently, suggesting ways to deal with crime against women.
The panel has recommended enhanced punishment of imprisonment up to 20 years for rape and life term for gang rape and murder.
It has also suggested that crimes like stalking, disrobing a woman and voyeurism be treated as new offences with stringent punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA