‘Benazir admitted poor handling of Kashmir issue’
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Mani
Shankar Aiyar on Tuesday said former prime minister of Pakistan
Benazir Bhutto had "admitted to him of not having handled the
Kashmir issue correctly" in 1996.
"If Benazir Bhutto was alive today, it would have helped
India since she wanted a strong relationship between the two
"However, she agreed with me that when she became the
Prime Minister for the second term , she had not handled the
Kashmir issue correctly," Aiyar, also a former High
Commissioner to Pakistan, said at a function here.
Foreign Minister of Pakistan Hina Rabbani Khar had on her
visit to India stated the aim of the tour was to have an
"uninterrupted and uninterruptible dialogue".
Aiyar claimed the idea of such dialogue was first
mooted by him to Bhutto and she had liked it.
"She (Bhutto) had also liked my phrase of uninterupted
and uninterruptible dialogue, which was ironically used by
Khar during her visit to India," he said.
Aiyar said "engaging with Pakistan means engaging with
everything that embarrasses India and Pakistan. What
embarrasses India is Kashmir and what embarrasses Pakistan is
Balochistan," the former diplomat said.
He warned the two countries could turn into an unwanted
burden for each other if "reasonable relations" were not
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800