‘Benazir admitted poor handling of Kashmir issue’
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Mani
Shankar Aiyar on Tuesday said former prime minister of Pakistan
Benazir Bhutto had "admitted to him of not having handled the
Kashmir issue correctly" in 1996.
"If Benazir Bhutto was alive today, it would have helped
India since she wanted a strong relationship between the two
"However, she agreed with me that when she became the
Prime Minister for the second term , she had not handled the
Kashmir issue correctly," Aiyar, also a former High
Commissioner to Pakistan, said at a function here.
Foreign Minister of Pakistan Hina Rabbani Khar had on her
visit to India stated the aim of the tour was to have an
"uninterrupted and uninterruptible dialogue".
Aiyar claimed the idea of such dialogue was first
mooted by him to Bhutto and she had liked it.
"She (Bhutto) had also liked my phrase of uninterupted
and uninterruptible dialogue, which was ironically used by
Khar during her visit to India," he said.
Aiyar said "engaging with Pakistan means engaging with
everything that embarrasses India and Pakistan. What
embarrasses India is Kashmir and what embarrasses Pakistan is
Balochistan," the former diplomat said.
He warned the two countries could turn into an unwanted
burden for each other if "reasonable relations" were not
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui