Beni Prasad not aware of position of farmers: Jaitley
Ahmedabad: Sternly criticising Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma over his statement on inflation, BJP leader Arun Jaitley said those who have made such a statement are not aware that farmers are committing suicide due to burden of debt and increase in input costs.
Union Steel Minister Verma had earlier said that he was "happy" over rising prices of food items as it will benefit farmers.
"Inflation adversely affects everybody. All the consumers, including farmers, are badly affected by it. Economic condition of farmers is not getting better due to it, in fact due to rise in input cost their position is bad," Jaitley, who is here on a two day visit, said.
"In the last few years, farmers have committed suicide due to burden of debt and rise in inputs cost, which reflects that the person who has made such comments is not in sync with reality," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'