Beni Prasad Verma flip-flop on Afzal`s execution
New Delhi: Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma on Thursday created a controversy with his flip-flop on the issue of punishment to Afzal Guru, who has been sentenced to death for the 2001 Parliament attack.
Verma, who has in the past too has faced criticism for controversial statements, reportedly said he was opposed to death sentence and felt there should be life imprisonment while speaking in context of Afzal Guru.
When his (Afzal) petition is pending, there is a process according to which a decision has to be taken. Personally I am opposed to the death sentence, there should be life imprisonment, Verma had said and also accused the BJP of playing communal politics.
However, the Union minister today said that he would respect the Supreme Court and the President`s decision on the issue.
"Whatever the Supreme Court decides, we will respect that, but the BJP should also respect the President`s decision," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax