Beni Prasad Verma flip-flop on Afzal`s execution
New Delhi: Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma on Thursday created a controversy with his flip-flop on the issue of punishment to Afzal Guru, who has been sentenced to death for the 2001 Parliament attack.
Verma, who has in the past too has faced criticism for controversial statements, reportedly said he was opposed to death sentence and felt there should be life imprisonment while speaking in context of Afzal Guru.
When his (Afzal) petition is pending, there is a process according to which a decision has to be taken. Personally I am opposed to the death sentence, there should be life imprisonment, Verma had said and also accused the BJP of playing communal politics.
However, the Union minister today said that he would respect the Supreme Court and the President`s decision on the issue.
"Whatever the Supreme Court decides, we will respect that, but the BJP should also respect the President`s decision," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka