Beni Prasad Verma flip-flop on Afzal`s execution
New Delhi: Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma on Thursday created a controversy with his flip-flop on the issue of punishment to Afzal Guru, who has been sentenced to death for the 2001 Parliament attack.
Verma, who has in the past too has faced criticism for controversial statements, reportedly said he was opposed to death sentence and felt there should be life imprisonment while speaking in context of Afzal Guru.
When his (Afzal) petition is pending, there is a process according to which a decision has to be taken. Personally I am opposed to the death sentence, there should be life imprisonment, Verma had said and also accused the BJP of playing communal politics.
However, the Union minister today said that he would respect the Supreme Court and the President`s decision on the issue.
"Whatever the Supreme Court decides, we will respect that, but the BJP should also respect the President`s decision," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video