Beni Prasad Verma says will continue to remain in party, Cabinet
New Delhi: Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma, who was ticked off by Congress after his comments against SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav created a controversy, on Tuesday said he will continue to remain in the party and is not resigning from the Cabinet.
"Log jhooth bool rahe hein. Hum jeevan bhar Congress mein rehenge. Jo log bol rahe hein unko bolne do (People are lying. I will remain in Congress all my life. Let people say what they want to say," Verma said here.
The Minister was asked if he was considering quitting the Cabinet or the Congress party in view of the party disapproving his comments against Mulayam.
Verma had not attended the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) meeting this morning leading to speculation that he might be contemplating quiting Congress and warming up to other parties like BSP ahead of the next Lok Sabha elections.
"I am just leaving for the Cabinet meeting," he remarked, indicating his continuance in the Union Cabinet.
Congress General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi had yesterday made the party`s displeasure clear over Verma`s remarks clear by saying it has "taken this issue very seriously".
Verma had also said he stood by his statement that Mulayam allegedly had "terrorist links". He had also ruled out stepping down following the SP leader`s demand, saying, "Has he made me a Minister?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday