Beni Verma’s remarks against Mulayam his personal: Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday disowned Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma’s controversial remarks against Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, saying the same were his personal comments and not party’s views.
Gandhi made the remarks when she met Mulayam here.
Verma was earlier ticked off by the Congress after his comments against the SP chief created a controversy.
Meanwhile, Verma is currently meeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the wake of the controversy.
The minister had made a statement that Mulayam allegedly had "terrorist links".
He yesterday rubbished reports that he was quitting the Congress.
"Log jhooth bool rahe hein. Hum jeevan bhar Congress mein rehenge. Jo log bool rahe hein unko bolne do (People are lying. I will remain in Congress all my life. Let people say what they want to say," Verma said.
The minister was asked if he was considering quitting the Cabinet or the Congress party in view of the party disapproving his comments against Mulayam.
Verma had not attended the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) meeting last morning leading to speculation that he might be contemplating quitting Congress and warming up to other parties like BSP ahead of the next Lok Sabha Elections.
Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi had on Monday made the party`s displeasure clear over Verma`s remarks clear by saying it has "taken this issue very seriously”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam