Best Bakery: Produce accused, says Mumbai court
Mumbai: The sessions court in Mumbai on Friday directed the Gujarat police to produce a recently arrested accused of 2002 Best Bakery case.
Vadodara police`s Crime Branch has moved an application before the sessions judge U B Hejib saying that a warrant was pending against Jayanti Gohil, an accused, who did not face trial in the case after a re-trial was ordered.
"Gohil had faced the trial in Gujarat but he was acquitted. When the Supreme Court ordered a re-trial and transferred the case to Mumbai, he did not turn up before the court and a warrant was issued," a Gujarat police official said.
Four absconding accused of Best Bakery case - Jayanti, Ramesh Gohil, Mahesh Gohil and Harshad Solanki - were arrested in a joint operation by NIA and Gujarat police recently.
Ramesh, Mahesh and Solanki are in custody of NIA in connection with the 2007 Ajmer bomb blast. They will be produced before Mumbai court after their custody ends in that case, as they too had not turned up before the court when re-trial was ordered, said a police official.
On March 1, 2002, two days after the Godhra train burning, a mob attacked Best Bakery in Vadodara, looting and burning it down and killing 14 people. The Bombay High Court last year acquitted five accused and upheld the conviction of four others who had been sentenced to life term by the trial court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij