Best Bakery: Produce accused, says Mumbai court
Mumbai: The sessions court in Mumbai on Friday directed the Gujarat police to produce a recently arrested accused of 2002 Best Bakery case.
Vadodara police`s Crime Branch has moved an application before the sessions judge U B Hejib saying that a warrant was pending against Jayanti Gohil, an accused, who did not face trial in the case after a re-trial was ordered.
"Gohil had faced the trial in Gujarat but he was acquitted. When the Supreme Court ordered a re-trial and transferred the case to Mumbai, he did not turn up before the court and a warrant was issued," a Gujarat police official said.
Four absconding accused of Best Bakery case - Jayanti, Ramesh Gohil, Mahesh Gohil and Harshad Solanki - were arrested in a joint operation by NIA and Gujarat police recently.
Ramesh, Mahesh and Solanki are in custody of NIA in connection with the 2007 Ajmer bomb blast. They will be produced before Mumbai court after their custody ends in that case, as they too had not turned up before the court when re-trial was ordered, said a police official.
On March 1, 2002, two days after the Godhra train burning, a mob attacked Best Bakery in Vadodara, looting and burning it down and killing 14 people. The Bombay High Court last year acquitted five accused and upheld the conviction of four others who had been sentenced to life term by the trial court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents