Best tribute to Rabbani is to carry forward peace
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday condemned the assassination of former Afghan President
Burhanuddin Rabbani in a "senseless act" of terror and said
the best tribute to him would be to continue his task of
securing a peaceful future for people of his country.
In a letter to Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Singh said
he had learnt about the incident with "great shock and
sadness" and India stands by him and the people of Afghanistan
in this hour.
"It is with great shock and sadness that I have learnt of
the tragic death of Professor Burhanuddin Rabbani. This is a
senseless act of terrorism which the government and people of
India condemn," he wrote before leaving for New York to attend
the UN General Assembly.
Singh fondly recalled his two meetings with Rabbani in
Kabul in May and later in New Delhi in July this year during
which the Afghan leader had shared with his vision of peace
and reconciliation in Afghanistan.
"The best tribute the people of Afghanistan can pay to
him is to carry on with the task that he had begun securing
a peaceful and safe future for the people of Afghanistan," the
Prime Minister said about Rabbani who was leading the peace
"Please accept my deepest condolences on the tragic
loss," he told Karzai, assuring him that "India stands by you
and the people of Afghanistan in this hour."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened