Beware of divisive forces, says Sonia Gandhi
Sewagram (Maha): Congress president Sonia
Gandhi on Saturday asked people to be beware of those forces trying
to foment divisions in the name of religion and language.
"Beware of those trying to divide us over religion and
language," she told the `Sadhbhawana rally` here in
Maharashtra`s Wardha district.
The rally was part of the concluding ceremony of the
`Gram to Sewagram` flag march organised by the Maharashtra
unit of Congress.
"At the outset I apologise to you. Due to technical
snag in aircraft I reached venue late," she said.
"This is the sacred land of Mahatma Gandhi and Vinoba
Bhave. I salute this sacred land.
"A weak society lags behind on the path of progress.
We have to handle our responsibilities while keeping in mind
social commitments," she said.
"We have to keep walking on Gandhiji`s principles of
sacrifice, brotherhood and non-violence," the UPA chairperson
said, adding "all our great leaders and party workers shed
blood for India`s independence".
Sonia said her late husband Rajiv Gandhi dreamt of a
21st century strong India. "It is before you to see," she
said. For us, politics has always been a medium of service to
weaker sections, she said.
The Congress-led government was focusing on welfare of
farmers, women and minorities and in areas like health,
education and employment generation, she said.
The Right to Education Act passed by Parliament gives
the poorest of poor chance to education, she said. "We are
coming out with a food security bill which will give food
guarantee to all, especially the poor," she said.
Elaborate arrangements were in place for the rally,
organised as part of celebration of the Congress party
completing 125 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened