Bhagalpur riots: Ten get rigorous imprisonment
Bhagalpur: A Bihar court has sentenced 10 persons to rigorous imprisonment for seven years for attacking a police party during Bhagalpur riots in 1989.
The 2nd additional district and sessions judge Anil Kumar also slapped a fine of Rs 2,000 on each of them.
The judge had on Tuesday acquitted 10 others in the case. The police party, led by the then officer-in-charge of Sultanganj police station, Prem Ranjan Sharma, was attacked when on November 14, 1989 it went to Kamarganj locality in Bhagalpur to inquire about the reported killing of five people by a riotous mob.
Twenty people were named as accused in an FIR lodged by Sharma in this connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results declared, check www.tseamcet.in
- Bollywood actress Jacqueline supports UN campaign against illegal wildlife trade
- Rani Mukerji, daughter Adira's Paris trip turns into a family affair! – Know why
- Salman Khan in and as 'Sultan' grabs 'Fastest 5 Million' views—Watch here!
- New Afghan Taliban leader was compromise candidate: Sources