Bhakra to become 1st structure having 2 commemorative stamps
Chandigarh: Bhakra dam will become the first structure in India which will have two commemorative postal stamps in its name.
Chairman of Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) AB Agrawal said on Wednesday, "The Department of Posts has approved the second commemorative stamp for Bhakra structure which will be released on October 22 this year."
"Bhakra dam will be the first structure in the country which will have two commemorative stamps. No such structure is in India has two stamps to its credit," he said.
On October 2013, Bhakra dam is scheduled to complete 50 year of its existence. Construction of the project started in 1948 and was completed in 1963.
The first commemorative postal stamp on Bhakra was released on December 15, 1988, a BBMB official said.
Bhakra dam is a 740 feet high straight gravity concrete dam, which is three times taller than Qutab Minar. The lake created by the dam is 168.35 square km in area.
BBMB has surpassed the target set by Central Electricity Authority (CEA) this year by generating 2,983 million units. CEA has set a target of 2,409 million units for the first quarter of 2013-14, Agrawal said.
Partnering states Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan get water from Bhakra and Pong dams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...