Bhakra to become 1st structure having 2 commemorative stamps
Chandigarh: Bhakra dam will become the first structure in India which will have two commemorative postal stamps in its name.
Chairman of Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) AB Agrawal said on Wednesday, "The Department of Posts has approved the second commemorative stamp for Bhakra structure which will be released on October 22 this year."
"Bhakra dam will be the first structure in the country which will have two commemorative stamps. No such structure is in India has two stamps to its credit," he said.
On October 2013, Bhakra dam is scheduled to complete 50 year of its existence. Construction of the project started in 1948 and was completed in 1963.
The first commemorative postal stamp on Bhakra was released on December 15, 1988, a BBMB official said.
Bhakra dam is a 740 feet high straight gravity concrete dam, which is three times taller than Qutab Minar. The lake created by the dam is 168.35 square km in area.
BBMB has surpassed the target set by Central Electricity Authority (CEA) this year by generating 2,983 million units. CEA has set a target of 2,409 million units for the first quarter of 2013-14, Agrawal said.
Partnering states Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan get water from Bhakra and Pong dams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!