Bhakra to become 1st structure having 2 commemorative stamps
Chandigarh: Bhakra dam will become the first structure in India which will have two commemorative postal stamps in its name.
Chairman of Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) AB Agrawal said on Wednesday, "The Department of Posts has approved the second commemorative stamp for Bhakra structure which will be released on October 22 this year."
"Bhakra dam will be the first structure in the country which will have two commemorative stamps. No such structure is in India has two stamps to its credit," he said.
On October 2013, Bhakra dam is scheduled to complete 50 year of its existence. Construction of the project started in 1948 and was completed in 1963.
The first commemorative postal stamp on Bhakra was released on December 15, 1988, a BBMB official said.
Bhakra dam is a 740 feet high straight gravity concrete dam, which is three times taller than Qutab Minar. The lake created by the dam is 168.35 square km in area.
BBMB has surpassed the target set by Central Electricity Authority (CEA) this year by generating 2,983 million units. CEA has set a target of 2,409 million units for the first quarter of 2013-14, Agrawal said.
Partnering states Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan get water from Bhakra and Pong dams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark