Bhandara rape: Govt rejects demand for CBI probe
New Delhi: Government on Friday turned down Opposition`s demand in Rajya Sabha for a CBI probe into rape and murder of three Dalit minor girls, all below 11 years, in Maharashtra`s Bhandara district, saying Centre does not intervene in state affairs.
"This is a very serious issue and concerns the jurisdiction of Maharashtra government," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said, adding the Centre did not intervene in state matters "be a Congress government or an Opposition-ruled government."
Shinde was making a statement in the Rajya Sabha, where members, outraged over the incident, demanded that the Centre should ask for a CBI probe into the ghastly act.
He said teams have been formed to pursue different lines of investigation, which is going on, and Maharashtra police was carrying out the probe to track the offenders.
"I am deeply shocked at the despicable, ghastly and brutal manner in which three minor girls from the same family were brutally raped and murdered and thrown into an abandoned well near Murwadi village, Lakhani police station, Bhandara district of Maharashtra," Shinde said.
As members accused the Maharashtra government of inaction, Shinde said in-charge of the police station Prakash Mude was suspended on February 19 as he "did not deal with the complainant promptly and professionally."
Shinde said, "Collective conscience of all members of the House would be equally revolted to know about the horrendous incident."
He said the Centre would convey the sentiments of the members to the state including the anguish over the problems caused to the complainant.
He said police have already registered an FIR adding, after an inquest by Taluka Magistrate a postmortem was conducted by a team of five doctors and "it appears that all three deceased girls were subjected to sexual abuse and murdered before throwing them into well."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre