Bhanwari case: Maderna, Malkhan named key accused
New Delhi: In the sensational Bhanwari Devi murder case, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) named sacked Rajasthan minister Mahipal Maderna and Congress MLA Malkhan Singh as the
main accused in the second chargesheet on Wednesday.
The duo has been accused of abduction and murders in the chargesheet.
In the 97-page supplementary charge sheet filed in CBI
court here, Maderan and Malkhan Singh have been charged under
Sections 302 (murder), 120 (B) (criminal conspiracy), 364
(abduction), 201 (causing disappearance of evidence or giving
false information to screen offender) of IPC and SC and ST
(Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Eight others-- Sahiram, Parasram, Amarchand, Umesharam,
Bishnaram, Kailash, Ashok and Omprakash -- have also been
named as accused in the charge sheet.
The agency had filed the first charge sheet in the case in
December last year against Sohan, Shahbuddin and Balia.
Investigations against Pukhraj, Dinesh, Reshmaram and
Malkhan`s sister Indira Bishnoi are pending, the agency said.
The CBI examined 300 witnesses in the case and the
chargesheet has 93 articles and 317 annexures.
Bhanwari, 36, had gone missing from Jodhpur`s Bilara area
on September 1 last year following which her husband had filed
a habeas corpus petition in the High Court.
After the state government ordered a CBI probe into the
case, the agency arrested Mahipal Maderna on December 3 and
Congress MLA Malkhan Singh on December 19 for their alleged
involvement in the case.
Soon after her death, a sleaze CD was circulated allegedly
featuring Maderna and Bhanwari.
Maderna was removed by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot from
his ministry in October after his name cropped up in the case.
During the probe, it was found that Bhanwari was allegedly
abducted and killed and her body burnt at Jaloda. Her remains
and belongings were later dumped in the Rajiv Gandhi Lift
Canal which were recovered by the CBI.
Agency sources had said that Maderna and Malkhan Singh
were being blackmailed by Bhanwari Devi who was allegedly
having relations with them and threatened to expose them which
led to her killing.
According to the sources, Bhanwari had demanded Rs 50
lakh from Maderna with whom she was shown in a compromising
position in a CD.
She had also threatened Malkhan Singh that she would make
it public that he was the father of her youngest daughter at a
Bishnoi community fair on September 7, it was alleged.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon