Bharat Bandh brings BJP, Left together
New Delhi: The main opposition BJP on Thursday shared stage with arch-rival Left as the two parties launched a blistering attack on the UPA government from Jantar Mantar.
The two sides came together as the opposition-sponsored Bharat Bandh called to protest the key policy decisions taken by the UPA government last week evoked a mixed response in parts of the country.
Though, BJP joined hands with the Left, the saffron party supporters cheered for Mamata Banerjee for her courageous decision to withdraw support to the UPA.
“Mamataji Sangharsh karo. Hum tumare saath hai” they shouted, shortly after BJP leader Nitin Gadkari took to the stage at Jantar Mantar along with leaders of the Left.
Addressing the protestors, the BJP president said that the economic decisions taken by the Congress would impact the poor and labourers, and the party would continue to fight them.
“This bandh is the beginning and we will have to undertake a bigger struggle to oppose the Congress’ oppressive policies”, he said adding, “UPA government’s policies always ignore the common man”.
CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury, who was also present at the Jantar Mantar, rose to the occasion and said, “UPA Govt is trying to help foreigners at cost of Indians.”
The CPM leader accused the government of selling out the country to serve the interests of foreigners. “Congress wants Indians to be slaves, and foreigners to be our masters. We will not accept FDI in retail. We will protest this decision till our last breath”, he said.
While BJP and Left have upped the ante against the ruling coalition, Congress spokesperson Ambika Soni slammed the Bharat Bandh for being ‘anti-people’, saying that by enforcing a shut down, the opposition were preventing the poor from earning whatever little money they could earn.
She also said she was “surprised” that UPA allies were resorting to striking as well.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad