Bharat Ratna award to Lata Mangeshkar didn`t make her govt`s slave: Shiv Sena
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A comment made by Janardhan Chandurkar over stripping Lata Mangeshkar of Padma, Bharat Ratna awards has snowballed into a controversy with the Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alliance reacting sharply to the Mumbai Congress chief`s demand.
Lata Mangeshkar, earlier this month, extended her support to Bharatiya Janata Party`s prime ministerial candidate and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi at the inauguration of Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune. "I pray to God that what we want is fulfilled and Narendra Bhai becomes the PM. This is everyone`s wish," the singer had said, stoking a political controversy.
On Monday, Chandurkar, who is a former MLA, criticised Mangeshkar for supporting Modi’s candidature for prime ministership.
In a bid to douse the controversy, Congress MP and Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari said his party believes in freedom of expression. Reacting to the Mumbai Congress chief`s remarks, Tewari said Chandurkar`s comments were unwarranted.
Speaking at a function to mark the 125th birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Chandurkar had said: “All awards and honours bestowed on those who are praising communal forces should be withdrawn". However, the Congress leader has clarified that he had not named anyone.
"My allegation was not against any individual, but about this tendency (to support communal forces). In our country, the awards are given...The society looks up to these people as an ideal and love these people."
"People love them irrespective of caste and community. If in such a situation, they (the awardees) decide to support communal party, the honour bestowed upon them becomes meaningless," Chandurkar said.
"If such people, who are loved by the society, want to indulge in politics, they should come out and practice politics," the Congress leader said.
Reacting to Chandurkar`s demand, senior Shiv Sena leader and MP Sanjay Raut said: “These awards are not the property of Chandurkar’s grandfather. These are awards conferred by the government in recognition of a person’s contribution to different fields. The government had given the Bharat Ratna and other prestigious awards to Lataji in recognition of her immense contribution to the world of music. One does not become a slave of the government just because it gave an award to a person. Every award-winner, including Lataji, is entitled to her opinion. It is absurd to ask her to return the awards. If Chandurkar dislikes Lataji so much, he should stop listening to her songs.”
Meanwhile, senior BJP leader Atul Shah hit out at Chandurkar, saying the statement suggests the Congress leader is immature. Lata Mangeshkar has right to express her views and it would be wrong to gag her.
BJP spokesperson Nalin S Kohli tweeted, “Modi phobia at its worst. Lata ji praises Modi ji & the Congress demands that her awards should be taken back!”
Lata was bestowed with Bharat Ratna in 2001. She received Padma Bhushan in 1969, Padma Vibhushan in 1999 and Dada Saheb Phalke Award in 1989, among other awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly