Bharat Shah`s secretary acquitted in underworld nexus case
Mumbai: A special MCOCA court has acquitted
Tarun Shah, secretary of diamond merchant Bharat Shah, accused
of conniving with gangster Chhota Shakeel to target film
personalities for extortion.
Tarun was booked under the stringent provisions of MCOCA
and for conspiracy and extortion under the IPC, along with
Bharat Shah, producer Nazim Rizvi and assistant producer Abdul
According to the prosecution, all the accused had
pressurised actor Salman Khan to reduce his fees for the movie
`Chori Chori Chupke Chupke` (2001), which was allegedly
financed by the underworld.
Tarun was a hawala operator, who used to collect
extortion money from Bharat Shah`s office and send it to
Chhota Shakeel, the prosecution further alleged.
In the first leg of the trial, in 2003, the court had
convicted Rizvi and Allahbaksh under MCOCA. Bharat Shah was
however acquitted under MCOCA charges and was convicted under
IPC for deliberately concealing information from the police
and was sentenced to a year imprisonment that was set off.
Tarun, who was absconding at that time, had surrendered
before the court after Bharat was acquitted.
"Tarun was made an accused in the case on the basis of an
alleged conversation between Rizvi and Chhota Shakeel in which
Tarun`s name had cropped up. However, the court today observed
that there is no material evidence against him," his lawyer
Shirkant Shivade told PTI.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know