Bhatkal arrest joint effort of Bihar police, intelligence agencies
Patna: The arrest of IM co-founder Yasin Bhatkal along with one of his close associates was the result of a joint operation by Bihar Police and intelligence agencies.
Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters) Ravindra Kumar told reporters that Bhatkal and his associate Asadulla Akhtar alias Haddi were arrested near Nahar Chowk in Raxual sub-division of Bihar`s East Champaran district, around 100 km from Patna.
Acting on a tip off that the top IM operatives were hatching plan for some terror incident, Bihar Police constituted a team under East Champaran SP Vinay Kumar.
The Bihar Police team with the help of NIA nabbed the two this morning, Kumar said.
NIA had announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh each on Bhatkal and Akhtar, wanted in connection with a large number of terror incidents across the country.
He said that NIA has taken custody of the two arrested IM top operatives and will produce in the court of CJM Motihari for transit remand.
Raxual sub-division of East Champaran district is about 225 km from capital Patna. Birganj is the bordering district of Nepal on the other side of Raxual.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka