`Bhatkal at German bakery 15 days before blast`
Mumbai: Abdul Samad Bhatkal, prime suspect
in the February 13 Pune German Bakery blast who was recently
arrested from Mangalore, was seen near the eatery a fortnight
before the explosion, a senior ATS official said Tuesday.
"Abdul was seen in the area (Koregaon Park) where the
bakery is located following which a hunt had been launched for
him. Our probe suggests, he visited Pune a fortnight before
the explosion," the official said on condition of anonymity.
"In fact, he was seen twice near the bakery in the last
week of January...," the official said.
Abdul, a close aide of alleged key conspirator in the
German bakery blast Yasin Bhatkal, was arrested from Mangalore
and brought here yesterday in connection with a 2009 arms
In August 2009, three persons were arrested from south
Mumbai for possession of illegal firearms allegedly supplied
by Abdul, who was today remanded in police custody till June 1
by a local court in the case.
Earlier in the day, Home Minister P Chidambaram said
Abdul was the prime suspect in the German Bakery blast, which
claimed 17 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players