Bhatkal took advantage of free passage at Indo-Nepal border
Motihari (Bihar): Arrested Indian Mujahideen operative Yasin Bhatkal and his associate used to take advantage of the unhindered passage on the Indo-Nepal border, 110 km of which lay in Bihar.
Interrogation of Bhatkal and his associate, Asadulla Akhtar alias Haddi, after their arrest from Nahar Chowk in Raxual sub-division of East Champaran district on Thursday revealed that they frequently travelled between the two countries without facing any problem.
Local people said that one has to spent as little as Rs 35 to reach Birganj in Nepal from Raxual in Bihar, a four- kilometre distance, by cycle-rickshaw.
Three-wheelers standing in queue on either side of the border charged Rs 12 for each passenger for the same distance.
No passport or any travel document were required for passage between the two countries.
Though the District Level Coordination Committee meeting was scheduled every three months, it mainly deliberated on issues concerning encroachment and border pillars.
Reports said that many of the pillars on the border were damaged.
Vikram Singh Thakur, Commander of Sahastra Seema Bal, 13 battalion, entrusted with the security of the border for 110 km from Ghorasahan to Sikta in contiguous West Champaran district, told PTI "free movement of people through the open border is indeed creating a problem."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof