Bhopal activists protest outside Indian Embassy
Washington: Urging Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to provide justice to the victims of 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy and expedite the case against former Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson, a group of activists held a protest demonstration outside the Indian Embassy here.
Shouting slogans against Dow Chemicals and Union Carbide, the activists displayed placards against the recent court verdict in the case in front of the Gandhi Statue outside the Embassy yesterday.
They asked the Prime Minister to set up a Special Prosecution Cell to expedite the case against Anderson, Union Carbide Corporation and Union Carbide Eastern by producing the foreign accused in India to face trial.
In a memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister, through the Indian Embassy here, the activists, under the banner of International Campaign for Justice for Bhopal, called for
setting up of an Empowered Commission on Bhopal to plan and execute rehabilitation schemes.
They also demanded the blacklist of Dow Chemical`s business in India and ensure that the company along with Union Carbide India Ltd pay for the clean-up of the contaminated site in Bhopal and compensate the people affected by it.
"It is mind-boggling to see the amount of corruption revealed within a week of this too little, too late verdict for the Indian accused," a PhD student of University of
Maryland Lakshmi Gorrepati said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof