Bhopal gas tragedy verdict late: KG Balakrishnan
New Delhi: The verdict on the Bhopal gas tragedy has "come late", National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairperson and former chief justice of India KG Balakrishnan said here on Monday.
"The verdict on the Bhopal gas tragedy has come late," Balakrishnan, who took charge as NHRC head Monday, said at a press meet.
"I can`t comment on the quantum of punishment. Inadequacy of a sentence is a ground for appeal and the aggrieved parties can appeal on the same ground," he added.
A court in Bhopal held eight former officials of Union Carbide India Ltd (UCIL) guilty of criminal negligence in the world`s worst industrial disaster 25 years back.
The eight include Keshub Mahindra, who then headed UCIL, from whose pesticide plant here tonnes of lethal gas leaked on Dec 2-3, 1984 night, killing thousands instantly and many more later. The death toll is believed to be about 25,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway