Bhopal gas tragedy verdict late: KG Balakrishnan
New Delhi: The verdict on the Bhopal gas tragedy has "come late", National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairperson and former chief justice of India KG Balakrishnan said here on Monday.
"The verdict on the Bhopal gas tragedy has come late," Balakrishnan, who took charge as NHRC head Monday, said at a press meet.
"I can`t comment on the quantum of punishment. Inadequacy of a sentence is a ground for appeal and the aggrieved parties can appeal on the same ground," he added.
A court in Bhopal held eight former officials of Union Carbide India Ltd (UCIL) guilty of criminal negligence in the world`s worst industrial disaster 25 years back.
The eight include Keshub Mahindra, who then headed UCIL, from whose pesticide plant here tonnes of lethal gas leaked on Dec 2-3, 1984 night, killing thousands instantly and many more later. The death toll is believed to be about 25,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!