Bhopal gas tragedy verdict late: KG Balakrishnan
New Delhi: The verdict on the Bhopal gas tragedy has "come late", National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairperson and former chief justice of India KG Balakrishnan said here on Monday.
"The verdict on the Bhopal gas tragedy has come late," Balakrishnan, who took charge as NHRC head Monday, said at a press meet.
"I can`t comment on the quantum of punishment. Inadequacy of a sentence is a ground for appeal and the aggrieved parties can appeal on the same ground," he added.
A court in Bhopal held eight former officials of Union Carbide India Ltd (UCIL) guilty of criminal negligence in the world`s worst industrial disaster 25 years back.
The eight include Keshub Mahindra, who then headed UCIL, from whose pesticide plant here tonnes of lethal gas leaked on Dec 2-3, 1984 night, killing thousands instantly and many more later. The death toll is believed to be about 25,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming