Bhopal toxic waste to be dumped in Pithampur
Bhopal: The defunct Union Carbide factory
has 347 metric tonnes of toxic waste which will be disposed of
in the Pithampur-based Treatment Storage Disposal Facility
(TSDF) in Dhar district, Madhya Pradesh Housing and
Environment Minister Jayant Mallaiya said Tuesday.
The toxic waste dumped in a shade in the factory
consisted of 96 MT of Sevin and Napthal residue, 30 MT Reactor
residue, 56 MT semi-processed pesticides and 165 MT excavated
waste, Mallaiya informed the State Assembly in a written reply
to a query by Congress legislator Kalpana Parulekar.
The minister said his department has not formulated any
separate policy for the disposal of toxic waste.
Though this question basically pertains to the Gas
Relief Department, a decision for moving this toxic waste to
TSDF Pitahmpur was taken in view of the Supreme Court
directives on the issue, he said.
Mallaiya informed that the TSDF facility was constructed
at Pithampur for the disposal of hazardous waste by the State
Industries Development Corporation, Ramky Enviro Engineering
Limited and Pithampur Auto Cluster.
To a query on how much money was spent by the department
to minimise the ill-effects of disposal of hazardous waste on
human beings, the Minister said that since no amount was spent
by his department on the issue, the question did not arise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in