Bhullar hanging: SC notice to Centre, Delhi govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court, Monday, issued notice to Centre and Delhi government on a writ petition filed by the wife of Devender Pal Singh Bhullar, a convict in the 1993 Delhi car bomb blast case.
Bhullar’s wife Navneet Kaur has sought the quashing of the rejection order, stay of execution and a direction to commute the death sentence to life imprisonment.
The apex court has demanded both Centre and Delhi government’s opinion on the case of Bhullar’s plea of commuting the death sentence to life imprisonment. The move will automatically put a stay on death sentence given to Bhullar till the apex body announces its decision.
Bhullar, a Khalistan Liberation Force (KLF) terrorist was sentenced to death for a 1993 car bomb attack that killed 12 people and injured 29.
Earlier, President Pratibha Patil had rejected the mercy petition of Bhullar on the death row and the report was sent to the Home Ministry.
Bhullar was the mastermind of a car bomb attack on Bitta in front of 5, Raisina Road office of the Youth Congress Sep 11, 1993.
The daring RDX blast in the heart of New Delhi had shocked the nation and prompted Bitta to set up the Anti-Terrorist Front.
Bhullar was deported back to India from Germany in 1995 and has been lodged in the high security ward in the Tihar Jail.
He was sentenced to death on Aug 25, 2001 and the Supreme Court dismissed his special leave petition Dec 27, 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered