Bhullar`s mercy: Ashwani Kumar refrains from making comment
Pathankot: Refusing to comment on Supreme Court`s verdict on Khalistani terrorist Devinderpal Singh Bhullar, Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar on Friday called for a speedy criminal justice system.
"No comments," said the Minister when asked for his reaction to the SC verdict on Bhullar.
Kumar was here to attend a function organised by the Pathankot Bar Association.
While addressing the function, the Minister stressed on speedy justice and said delay in passing verdict in large number of court cases could erode the faith of common man in the Judiciary and the Constitution.
"Such (delay in justice) a situation could lead to chaos and lawlessness in the society," he said adding, "there is no dearth of laws in the country, but there is a need to make it use aptly."
"In our system, delay in delivery of justice can be harmful as the common man will stop believing in the judiciary, the Constitution and our democratic system is prone to be eroded," he said.
Judiciary can play a vital role in making legislations relevant, but delay in deciding the cases should be avoided, Kumar said.
Earlier, the Union Law Minister said Punjab has become haven of drug smugglers and law and order situation was deteriorating fast in the state.
Kumar, who had recently shot a letter to Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to execute all centrally-sponsored development projects in the border districts of Gurdaspur and Pathankot added, since the local youth was falling prey to drug abuse, the SAD-BJP government should set up industrial units in these districts to generate employment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown