Bhushan, Kejriwal slapped with privilege notices
New Delhi: Amid growing suspicion that Team Anna is being deliberately targeted by those in corridors of power, two more core members of the team - senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan and activist Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday were slapped with breach of privilege notices for their remarks against Parliamentarians.
Both Bhushan and Kejriwal were accused of using “derogatory words” against MPs and have been asked to file a reply.
Reacting to the notice Bhushan said that the notice was "totally unjustified".
"I have received the notice and will respond to it. I stand by my statement and don`t think it amounts to breach of privilege," Bhushan said.
"If speaking the truth in public interest is treated to be a breach of privilege by Parliament or its members, then I think the time has come to re-examine as to what constitutes parliamentary privilege," he said.
It is being alleged that Bhushan, while speaking to a TV channel during Anna Hazare fast at Ramlila Grounds, had said that the MPs charge money for making and passing laws in Parliament.
Activist Kejriwal confirmed that a privilege notice has been received at his residence in Ghaziabad. "Yes, I have received notice from parliament. I have not read it yet, but my mother called to inform me that I have received the notice."
Kejriwal on Thursday was issued an Income Tax notice which asked him to repay more than Rs 9 lakh of default dues. The activist had hit back by saying the notice had not been sent by the department but its "political bosses".
Earlier former top cop and another important member of Team Anna along with Bollywood actor Om Puri were also issued privilege notice by Parliament for mocking at and passing caustic comments against lawmakers.
Puri had apologised for calling MPs "anpadh" (uneducated) and "nalayak" (incompetent) at the Ramlila Maidan during Hazare`s fast. Bedi expressed no regrets for poking fun at politicians who she alleged don "several masks" to deceive people.
Bedi maintained that whatever she had said was in reference to a situation, where it was needed to be said. "The truth has to be said. I didn`t have any other option as we didn`t know whether we would have a resolution," she said.
"If I get an opportunity I will go before the Committee and will show a bigger mirror to Parliament," she had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow