Bhutan King chief guest at Republic Day parade
New Delhi: Bhutan`s King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck was the Chief Guest at the 64th Republic Day Celebrations here on Saturday becoming the third emperor from the tiny kingdom to grace the event, signifying the importance that India attaches to its neighbour.
The Oxford-educated 32-year-old Wangchuck and Queen Jetsun Pema, who did her schooling in Himachal Pradesh, are visiting India for the second time in the past two years.
The young king, who is known for inviting his subjects for tea at his palace in the picturesque Bhutanese capital of Thimphu, shares the honour of being the Chief Guest with his father Jigme Singye Wangchuck and grandfather Jigme Dorji Wangchuck.
While Jigme Singye Wangchuck, who abdicated the throne in 2006 in favour of his son, had the honour of being the Chief Guest at the Republic Day celebrations twice in 1984 and 2005, Jigme Dorji Wangchuck received the honour in 1954.
Wangchuck came to Rajpath along with President Pranab Mukherjee escorted by horse-mounted presidential bodyguards.
The King, who married his girlfriend Pema in October 2011, was received by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the VVIP enclosure at the Rajpath following which he greeted him with a "Namaste".
Wangchuck, who attended the National Defence College in the capital, is well-versed with Hindi and is adored by his subjects for his simplistic nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe