Biden proposes trilateral talks between US, India and China
Mumbai: American Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday proposed closer coordination between the US, India and China, saying trilateral talks between the three "big" nations would benefit the entire region.
Biden, while delivering a lecture on `US-India Partnership` at the Bombay Stock Exchange, underscored the need for enhanced engagement between India, China and America.
"The cooperation between the three big nations, India, China and the US, will help grow world economy," he said.
"I`ve heard people talk about the US-China relationship as everything from the next Cold War to the next G2. None -- neither of those characterisations is accurate," Biden said.
"I`ve had discussions on this issue while I`ve been here, but I knew it already, like India, we have a complex relationship with China. It has important elements of cooperation and also competition," Biden said.
"And we want it to be constructive. There are three big nations, we are three big nations, China, India and the US, with our own perspectives. We have significant common interests. All three of us and the entire region would benefit if we coordinated more closely," he said.
Biden, who is on a four-day visit to the country, said, "America and India have already built strong trilateral dialogue with Japan. It is past time we launch one with China."
"America and India are cooperating closely in Afghanistan. It`s been the subject of many of my discussions thus far with your leadership," he said.
Biden said that he hopes that India will join the US, China and more than 100 other countries to work within the Montreal Protocols to phase down the production and consumption of HFCs.
"Your leaders fully understand that in order to sustain your development India needs access to low-carbon technologies and other sources of clean energy," Biden said.
"And that`s why when I was a US Senator and Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee I fought so hard in the US Senate to champion the US-India Civil Nuclear Agreement," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what